Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Joy of Freedom

pic credit (http://jmkempster.wordpress.com)

23rd August last year, I was involved in an accident. I fractured my right leg, and since then I’ve been in my hometown receiving treatments as well as recuperating. If you read in my post about the accident, I mentioned I was being treated in a traditional orthopedic clinic. There, their methods are quite different from what you may know. Bandages and well-carved sticks are used to form a cast around the broken leg.

Since then I’ve been in the bondage of those bandages and sticks. Sometimes they’re tied too hard against my leg and I’ll be in pains for few days, until the next check-up day when the doctor would change and retie them.

And that’s why I’ve been happy since Monday after going for the weekly check-up; the doctor decided that I didn’t need the bandages and sticks anymore, since my leg is now on the mend.

I’m not only happy because I’m free from the bondage, I’m also happy because in a little time I’ll be done with going to the clinic for the check-ups, which means that I can move back into the real world again, maybe get a job as well as further my education. It doesn’t mean, though, that I’m leaving this writing and book blogging world. It’s an awesome community that I look forward to been in forever.

Writing this post makes me remember a call I received from a friend sometime in February. After asking about my health and how I was faring in my hometown, he sighed and then said, ‘This accident has caused you wasted months but everything’s going to be fine.’ I said, “Thanks,” and after I dropped the phone, I pondered over his words.

Were these months really wasted?

I knew the answer was “No!” First of all, I’m still alive, and during the period since the accident, especially after my discharge from the clinic, I’ve read more books than I usually read, I’ve finished the third book in my YA Urban Fantasy series, I’ve been seriously editing The Road Taken, I’ve found a clear direction for my blog, and last but not the least, I’ve met more awesome writers and book bloggers, all of which makes me believe there was never a wasted moment at all.

My appreciation goes to my family, friends, fellow writers, and book lovers, and to everyone who’s been supportive all these while. I say a big THANK YOU to you, and may God bless you all.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh Kaykay, what a lovely post. Of course, no time should be considered wasted on earth. You were lucky enough you will be able to go back to your normal life. Remember that quite a good number of people indulged in an accident weren't that lucky. I am happy for you.

    Take life easy, every disappointment is a blessing. I wish you the best.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good words, Mary. Yeah, I also believe that every disappointment is a blessing. Best wishes too.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Of course nothing is wasted. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I say this, not only for the good but for hard times too. I don't know why, but I have always believed that. And when things aren't the way I want them to be, I keep that in mind. Everything happens for a reason and despite the pain and all the trouble you've been through, there was something good at it.

    Have a nice day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Athina. I really appreciate your kind words. Yes, it happened for a reason, I believe. And I'm happy I'm over the tragedy; I don't count my losses anymore. :)

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy that you're able to move on to the next stage of your life. Instead of being trapped in a holding pattern you forged a whole new life that you can take with you anywhere you go. Life changing accidents leave scars, but I've always loved how they remap more than your flesh. I had a terrible accident when I was eight. It changed everything, who I would consider friends, the kind of person I would become. Thank goodness for it and all those stitches! Here's to those three books you wrote, the one you heavily edited, and the sharper vision for your blog (and writing voice). Thanks for stopping by my Dream post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn. It feels good knowing I'm not alone in that corner. Yeah, accidents certainly do have a way of changing someone, sometimes they shape you to become a better person or otherwise. Sometimes they make you stronger. I'm glad that mine has sharpened my vision, and I'm also glad that yours helped in shaping you into the wonderful person you are today.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete